Saturday, July 5, 2008

1st Post Since The Trip Began

Well it turns out I will be posting all of the sweet details of the happenings and adventures Nathan has experienced so far. He hasn't had much luck with Internet access and cell phone accessibility for that matter. I am hoping to have pictures to add in the near future. As Soon as I receive some, I will upload them to Nathan's blog ASAP for all to see.

Nathan set off Tuesday July 1st. I heard from him later that evening and it seemed that he had a rough go the first day and was having doubts in completing his trip. We all know that isn't going to be the case, because Nathan is a fighter and will achieve anything he puts his mind too. The little bit that I got from him was mainly the weather (the lighting and thunder storm we had Wednesday and Thursday, it came from the North), boulder size rocks falling down at him and to top it off, the hard seat on the bike was starting to ware thin (not enough padding on his backside, lol).

The next day (7/2) I could tell he had regained his spirit to push forward. I received a couple text messages from him, letting me know his where abouts. First text read, "Prince George!" and the next one read, “I will be in Stewart in 6 hours." There was no stopping him now.

Since the text messages I hadn't heard from him up until yesterday (7/4) and boy did he have some stories to tell. I am not sure of his where abouts at the time he called, so I wasn't able to add it to the map, but I did update it with the current info he gave me. Gotta check it out!

On Wednesday Nathan traveled around 840 miles. He made his way from Prince George to Stewart, BC and set off from Stewart riding all the way to Bell II, where he stayed overnight. He was telling me about a ton of moose he got to take pictures of. He was saying how cool it was to see such massive creatures. As he made his way closer to his destination he came across a black bear and a grizzly he snapped a few pics of that he saw right off the highway.

Thursday July 3rd, he saddled the yellow beauty at 6:00am riding up the Alcan Highway to Haines Junction, where he met up with 2 riders from the ADV Forum. The 3 of them rode to Destruction Bay where Nathan camped out and his new friends stayed in a cabin. Who's the tuff guy?! LOL Nathan was telling me that Destruction Bay has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. Sounds like he will be making a trip up that way again.

Friday morning (7/4), Nathan was up early packing up his gear, getting ready to push forward. As he was finishing up he turned around and froze in the place where he stood...About 20 feet in front were 2 grizzlies (mommy and her 1 or 2 year old cub) coming straight for him. The mama bear snarls her lip with a bear gggruff! Thoughts start racing through his head of the bear safety rules, Discovery Channel shows of grizzly attacks and so on from there. He takes one very sssslow step back and freezes again. He slowly turns and walks a couple of feet and turns to see where and what the bears are now doing. Luckily he must have been secreting enough fear, because by then the bears had turned and started on to probably scare the crap out of another poor soul. Hopefully their instinct will be as quick witted as Nathan. He took off running straight for the cabin where his new friends lay, peacefully sleeping. Only question I had was where the HECK was that big bottle of bear mace!! I am buying him a holster for his next adventure, so he can keep that mace hip side. LOL

After a crazy start to the day, he was off again. Planned destination...Fairbanks, AK. Once he arrives in Fairbanks, he will have traveled 2,500 miles in 4 days. WOW!! I am sooo proud of him!

To be continued...

No comments: